The Sweetheart Deal

by Polly Dugan



The Sweetheart Deal is a predictable story that I picked up after reading 2 very heavy twisty thrillers. The characters just didn't seem to be very dimensional. While every griefs different so this book shows how the author had her characters all dealing with the very sudden and unexpected death of Leo. I just didn't click with the characters and thought the story was so-so. The first person writing style is not a favorite of mine it just does go well for really developing the characters, story line and world for me anyway. The only character who I felt had any dimension was Garrett. He gave up so much of his own life to step in and follow through with his promise. I really wish the story was told more through his perspective than the widow Audrey's. The summary about finding unexpected love was totally expected and the reader will see it coming instantly and very early on in the book. While I know many will really like this book for me it was a decent book to read after some very heavy themed books but not one I would pick up on my own. I'm glad I got the read it through the BookSpark Summer Reading challenge since I'm not sure I would have otherwise.

summary: Leo has long joked that, in the event of his death, he wants his best friend Garrett, a lifelong bachelor, to marry his wife, Audrey. One drunken night, he goes so far as to make Garrett promise to do so. Then, twelve years later, Leo, a veteran firefighter, dies in a skiing accident. 

As Audrey navigates her new role as widow and single parent, Garrett quits his job in Boston and buys a one-way ticket out west. Before long, Audrey's feelings for Garrett become more than platonic, and Garrett finds himself falling for Audrey, her boys, and their life together in Portland. When Audrey finds out about the drunken pact from years ago, though, the harmless promise that brought Garrett into her world becomes the obstacle to his remaining in it.

thank you BookSpark Summer Reading Challenge and Little Brown and Company for allowing me to read and review The Sweetheart Deal. All thoughts and opinions are my own and not influenced by the free book.
 

Gidget Girl Reading Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang