Appetite

by Sheila Grinell



Appetite is Sheila Grinell's debut novel and it was a really great entry into the fiction field. First off I have to say I loved all the Indian Mehndi designs in the corner of each beginning chapter, it made me want to grab my colored pencils and markers and start coloring. It was a wonderful little surprise to see the designs they were all so beautiful and really added to the book. Now on to Appetite story line, I will say I went thinking it sounds OK. However this book grabbed me with in the first few pages and kept me reading. She does a great job at giving the character's full dimension and explains their personalities. I will say right off the bat I can't stand Jenn's parents Paul and Maggie. Oh my stars they are so stuck up and selfish. They are rude and can't see that their daughter is so happy with Arun. They won't give him even a chance to see who he really is, they have already formed their opinions and nothing is going to change that. They really have no right to pass judgement considering how they live. However they written very realistic and while they made me so mad through out the book. I was just ready for them to drop their walls and really get to know Jenn and Arun for who they were. The family had there issues but I know in the end the parents thought they were doing what was right for their daughter even if it wasn't their decision to make. Jenn was a spunky girl who has found her own path in life and its a humanitarian path. What she doesn't make in money she makes up for in the fact that she knows she is making an impact and helping people who need her. Arun is the head of the place where Jenn works and their's was a workplace love and that they both wanted the same things for the families they were helping. This book is almost like a year in the life and I loved all the glimpse's I got to see. Every family has it's problems and dysfunction so this one was no different. In the end I think they all found their own happiness and followed their own path. I really hope the author Sheila Grinell writes more her book was good and very easy to read.

summary: When Jenn Adler returns from a year in India, she has a surprise for her parents: a young guru from Bangalore whom she intends to marry. Her father, Paul, is wary of this “beggar” Jenn has brought home—who, he suspects, is conning his much-loved daughter—while her mother, Maggie, is frightened that this alien stranger will steal away her only child, her focus in life.
In the months leading up to the backyard wedding, Maggie is forced to reevaluate her virtues as she casts about for support, and Paul faces an unexpected threat at work—one that Maggie could help him meet, if he would only ask. But even with these distractions, the two parents are focused on one primary question: Can they convince their daughter she is making a terrible mistake before the wedding takes place?

thank you BookSparks Summer Reading Challenge, She Writes Press and Sheila Grinell for allowing me to read and review Appetite. All thoughts and opinions are my own and not influenced by the free book.
 

Gidget Girl Reading Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Bukit Gambang